Style Me Friday: Red Trousers & Stripes

Happy Friday, Lovelies! Well, we made it through another week.  I hope you had a great one. This week flew by… heck this MONTH flew by! can you believe it is September 2 already? Wasn’t it January 1 just a few weeks ago? I guess that’s want happens when you become “an adult.”  Anyway, enough rambling. It’s time for another Style Me Friday!  I received such great feedback from last week’s look.  THANK YOU!!! In case you missed it, let me explain what Style Me Friday is all about.  The idea is for YOU to style ME! You submit a look and I’ll recreate it. The look can be from anywhere on the web… a celebrity, a retail look book, another blog…as long as you can find a picture, you can submit it! (Just be sure to leave a link so I can link back).  Find all the details and rules for submission here!

Today’s Style Me Friday look was submitted by Audrey of Chronicles of a Future Wife and before I get into the look, I want to tell you guys about a special series Audrey is working on for her blog — The Whole Woman Workshop.  In this workshop, Audrey is addressing the WHOLE woman — mind, body, spirit… and style of course.  She will be sharing encouraging words and stories from a group of fab bloggers, life coaches, makeup artists, and more. Please do check it out! Oh, and did I mention that I am one of those feature bloggers? Yep, that’s right! and I am so honored that she considered me someone who’s story and perspective on style would be beneficial to her readers. WOW. (and my buddy Reiko from God’s Favorite Shoes is also being featured! HI REIKO!!)

Okay, so back to the look. When I received Audrey’s email, I was thrilled because the look she submitted wasn’t totally my style.  It’s a little more put together than what I’d normally wear… and a little matchy matchy for my taste.  You all know my style is a tad bit off kilter. Lol.  You know what that means…CHALLENGE!!! This look really challenged me to flex my styling muscles and make the look all  my own…

So, I swapped out the black and white striped tee with a white and navy striped tee.  Notice the navy stripes are much thinner than the stripes on Monica’s top.  The thick black stripes against the red pants is a little harsh, but opting for a white tee with thin navy stripes softens the look a little bit.  I also replaced the wide black belt with a medium width tan leather belt worn through the belt loops.  Again, the brown really softens the look.  Since it’s still summer, I replaced Monica’s closed toe black shoes with a pair of tan sandals.  And of course, in true Eboni fashion (no pun intended), I tied the look together with a leopard clutch (duh!) How did I do?

I am totally getting hang of the whole “arm candy” concept. For some reason layering bracelets was really hard for me to grasp. I was pretty proud of myself today. LOL! and I am still loving my Mimi’s Leather and Gold Chain bracelet!  It really is a great layering piece.

Victoria Secret Christie Flare Pant | Old Tee | DIY Raven Bag | Old Belt | Versace Sunnies | Mimi’s Leather & Gold Chain Bracelet | Assorted Bangles.

So, what are the takeaways from this week’s Style Me Friday?

1. Know yourself.  Remember fashion and style are not the same thing.  Style is how YOU interpret fashion.  My outfit is ALMOST identical to Monica’s, but my interpretation showcases MY STYLE.
  2. Accessories make all the difference. Swapping out the belt and shoes, and adding the clutch changed the direction of this look completely (and again made the look my style).
  3. When you’re looking for inspiration, look at all of the pieces individually.  I would have passed on this look as a source of inspiration because the look as a whole doesn’t suit my style BUT with a little push from Audrey, I took it apart…looked at the pieces individually…and put them back together my own way…and I loved it! Sometimes you just have to approach fashion with a good analytical eye. (hehe!)

Submit looks for next week’s Style Me Friday here!

Have a GREAT weekend!!!

67 Responses to “Style Me Friday: Red Trousers & Stripes”

1. citizenrosebud says:

I love your version better- and the leopard clutch just makes it perfect. Stripes and leopard? Fashion genius. xo.-Bella Q
    My recent post Hats Have More Fun

2. What! You better work! You look way better than the inspiration picture! I love these flares. I need them, and I need to recreate this look!
    My recent post Blogger Buddies

3. Tatiana C. says:

You should trying opening up these challenges to your readers. They sound fun.

4. Charee says:

I.Am.In.Love.With.Those.Pants!! They remind me of the ones from Envy Boutique… more confirmation that I need to get a pair. LOL!!!! Love this look Eboni… you look HAUTE girlfriend!!!!

5. jetsettingmama79 says:

SUPAH CUTE!!!
    My recent post Labor Day 2011 Staycation – Winchester, VA

6. Lipstick Manual says:

Great style I love the red pants & stripes totally sailoresque!

7. Nikka Shae says:

OHHHH!!! So cute I love the cluch too!!!! FAB, FAB, FAB!!!!

8. Veronica says:

WOW! I am speechless…you knocked it out of the ball park. You look magnificent…and those pants! Oh those pants…I need them!
    My recent post Match the Celebrity: Cheryl Cole

9. Abi says:

Love this!. You look great. This is something i can see myself in, so I wil be saving this look.
    Your hair looks great. Keep up the great work.

10. Mai says:

love it very retro chic! the brown really pulls the outfit together well.
    My recent post Last Supper

11. Jarette says:

I love , love , love this look and your hair looks really good as well…. Red and black and white stripes go so good together, you got me wanting to pull out my red skinny jeans …
    My recent post Curvy Figure of the Week – Gabi Gregg of GABIFRESH

12. Robin says:

Lady, I love this look on you! It's funny because I wore an outfit almost identical to this last week. My boss called it my DFWM outfit (Don't F*ck With Me). It's a fun, bright and tough look. I love how you are allowing yourself to step out of your comfort zone on these Fridays. Such fun! I love your looks on your own, but these are a great way to see more sides of your style as well!
    My recent post August Run Through

13. I definitely prefer your look!! Those pants are amazing.
    My recent post What I Wore: 08.25.11

14. This is a great idea to change things up a bit. I actually like your outfit better than the inspiration!
    My recent post Daily Style: Friday, 9/2

15. You look fabulous as always !!!!!!!

16. Crystal says:

You look AMAZING!!! I LOVE this look! I must agree with the other posters, your version is way better.

17. Marquita C. says:

Gimme' those pants! lol You look great! Love that bag too!

18. Sparkle Cupcake says:

You look so cute! Luv the way you put things together :)

19. justMe says:

You look fabulous! Great job! I agree your version is much better!

20. Nikell says:

Actually, I like your look a lot better. It's more cohesive. Maybe Monica should check your blog out (lol). I love those pants. I've always been afraid of colored pants. But you've inspired me to step out of my comfort zone and try them out.
    My recent post Waiting on The Lord Part 2 of 2

21. Christiana says:

You look great.

Love the pants.

22. GFS (Reiko) says:

Hi Eboni!!!! I was geeked when I saw that you were part of the Future Wife's feature too! You killed this outfit! I would wear every single piece exactly the way you rocked it. And truth be told…I like your version way better…and not just because you are rocking the Leopard DIY RAVEN bag!

P.S…we've gotta meet when I get to ATL in 14 days!!!

23. You are looking absolutely fabulous in those red pants!!! They are just perfect and since you have them I'm going to send a pic for your Style Me series!!!

I love your spin on it and it definitely gives the whole look a more casual, but still fabulous spin especially with a little leopard action. :)
    My recent post OOTD-In Before the Deadline

24. Rocquelle says:

1. Love this series…so fun!
    2. You look fabulous!!
    3. Those pants are perfection on you!
    4. Welcome to the arm party!
    5. Have a wonderful weekend!
    Rocquelle recently posted..SMILE
    Rocquelle recently posted..SMILE

25. Brittany says:

That is so cute! I need that outfit like right now!

26. Takia says:

You look so fabulous…this is definitely one of my favorite looks!

You did it wayyyy better. I hated her thick belt, she didn’t need it with her shape. You look great.

28. corie says:

You lookin' good girl! Love this outfit. Always so cute…
    My recent post Feature Friday: Monroe Steele

29. You look fab. Our stars must be aligned, I swear I wore this outfit today as well. Two thumbs up of course.
    My recent post Chic Boutique Tour

30. This is probably my favorite outfit of yours. I feel like I say that with most of your looks, though :)
    My recent post Vintage Maxi Dress + Guest Feature: Aureta Thomollari

31. Sophie says:

I am a nut when it comes to everything stripes and red and you nailed that look. I never thought that red pants could have been so elegant. I love love this look Eboni, I can totally see me wearing something like that :)
    My recent post Stripes yourself

32. [...] Eboni of Fashionista Next Door [...]

33. FASHION TALES says:

Great inspiration hon, I agree yes it's definitely a difference between style and fashion, and I cannot get over how stunning you look in those clever trousers. Gorgeous photos woman!
    ~Madison

My recent post Colouring Happy

34. Jen Smith says:

You are too cute! I love this look and your blog!!

jen

35. Jen Smith says:

Sooo cute!!! What a great outfit!

jen http://blankwhiteframes.blogspot.com

36. Fredetta says:

Love this outfit :)

37. Shen Dove says:

I really like your blog! I discovered you from Style Pantry's recent post. Your pants are fabulous and I actually like your outfit better than the one than your inspiration pic!
    My recent post Double Dotted

38. Veronica says:

Those pants look like they were made for you! They look great on you and I Love thise outfit!!
    My recent post Product Review: Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner

39. Audrey S. says:

Love these pants! You look so tall!

40. Momma Sharon says:

I 43rd that emotion that those red slacks look AMAZING on you!! So long and lean!! You rocked the inspired look, and I like your better!! I so look forward to your posts. Keep up the GREAT work, you are loved!!

41. OMG, Eboni!
    I love this so much!
    I love your outfit more!
    Cute cute and cute!
    you look great!
    My recent post Friday the 13th

42. Prissy says:

This outfit is too fly!!! Yours looks better than that inpiration photo! I'm drooling over your red trousers!!!!

Prissy
    My recent post eShakti Giveaway

43. Tosha says:

You look great! I love your blog! Congrats on your Style Pantry feature, I think you have great style :-)

My recent post new reptilian…

44. lynn says:

This tres cute! I am so glad you put your twist on it!!!! I am realy loving the arm candy. I am obsessed with bracelets so this trend works perfectly for me. Great inspiration and even better inspired look!
    besos,lynn
    My recent post Jack and Ginger

45. tasha says:

Love your styling to it. When I seen the look i was like i wanna rock it. You did a great job =) The red pants flatter you well
    My recent post Even Blouse

46. Ariel B says:

I love these red pants. I am on the hunt for some red wide leg pants. I also prefer your look over Monica's. Her look was not flattering to her frame. I like the twist that you added to it.
    My recent post FD Author Style: Color Blocking and Soft Pleats

47. Shonda says:

I actually think your look is better! Cleaner, more polished with a nautical feel. Great interpretation!

48. Toria says:

I actually love your look better! Those pants are really cute and fit you well.
    ~Toria
    Toria recently posted..One Cardigan Two Ways- Special BONUS!!!
    Toria recently posted..One Cardigan Two Ways- Special BONUS!!!

49. Fashnlvr says:

You look fabulous! I love what you did with this look and how you made it yours! Perfection! Still loving that clutch and that leather and gold bracelet is fantastic!

50. Tyesha says:

Eboni you nailed it and did a much better job than she did and OMG those red trousers are simply GORGEOUS!!
    My recent post Giveaeway: A Mark Something Wild Purse

51. Mattie says:

These pants are great, Eboni! One of my favorite trends for this fall…you wear very well! The "Style Me Friday" concept is genius!
    My recent post Mattie Muse: Prints Charming

52. Natural Becomes Her says:

This is a gorgeous look!!!! I MUST have those pants!!
    My recent post GUILT-FREE COOKING// "Food Heaven Made Easy" Episode #3

53. bettyboop says:

i luv your look

54. Kerissa says:

I'm currently listening to Monica's Still Standing album as I type this. You did better than her. I like the thinner stripes. Giving me inspiration hunni (:
    My recent post Paisley Print

55. Shasie says:

Love your inspiration!
    Shasie of Live Life in Style

My recent post Video of Me Dancing

56. Carsedra says:

Yeah I am like what a month late on this, but Prissy mentioned how fabulous you looked in your red pants and I had to come over to see. You both are ROCKING the red pants!! Love your outfit!! I actually like yours alot better than Monica's, I am not the matchy matchy type all the time either!!

Carsedra of:
    My recent post Facing Your Fears – Outfit of the Day

57. Colleen says:

I saw those pants and thought they looked like mine. I read further and saw they are also from VS. They might be the same ones! I love mine. http://scrapandrun.blogspot.com/2011/09/96-red-pa
    My recent post 9.30 – Happy Birthday to Me

58. jessj says:

Eb this is stunning!!!!! Everything, from the hair to the pants (which are hitting just perfectly) to the clutch and bracelets. This is flawless!

59. [...] quick before I go, I have to give a shout out to Maria Scott on Facebook.  She recreated one of my previous Style Me Friday looks and posted it to my wall.  Doesn’t she look FABULOUS?! I love it!! Work it  [...]

60. Katrice says:

You look adorable!

61. Tammy says:

This is my #1 OOTD! I am definitely going to post this on my blog. Thanks for the inspiration.
    My recent post The Queen's Closet: Old School Chic

62. drjaicupid says:

I like your translation better than the inspiration outfit. Chic.
    My recent post Public Displays of Protocol – November

63. Hi there, simply became aware of your weblog through Google, and located that it is truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I will appreciate for those who continue this in future. Numerous folks will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!
    jeans online recently posted..1