Style Me Friday: Inspired by Diahann Carroll (Ladies in pants!)

Happy Friday!! I know this post is SUPER late! Sorry, I was dealing with my mane yesterday, which you can see is back in it’s natural state (well, kind of!) after being straight on and off for most of December and January.   Yesterday, I had to make a choice — outfit pics or hair? Hair won! So, I took my pictures on my lunch break today, and now I am scrambling to get those post up in the next 30 minutes.

Anyway, today’s Style Me Friday submission comes from long time reader, Chinyere!  (Hi Chi Chi!)  You know I got SUPER excited when I opened the attachment and saw none other than THEE Diahann Carroll sporting a cute, cute pair of leopard print cropped pants. You know that’s right up my alley, and so appropriate for the first Friday in February, which of course, is Black History Month.  Diahann Carroll was such a pioneer for black actresses, and of course the inspiration/model for the infamous “Julia” barbie a.k.a. the first black barbie!  If you’re not familiar with Diahann Carroll’s story, please do check it out.

Oh, and I was also intrigued by the caption on the photo, titled “Ladies in Pants”:

“Women are wearing the pants this season, not only for sports wear, but also in smart circles for evening wear.  leopard smarty pants by Leisure Life ($8) flatter the figure…”

It’s hard to imagine a time when women wearing pants would be considered fashion forward, isn’t it?

So, for my rendition of Diahann’s look, I did the old switcheroo. I didn’t have cropped leopard pants or a black blouse, but I did have this Old Navy leopard blouse and black cropped pants.  Perfect!  I thought my pink kitten sling back heels were perfect for the look, and representative of the inspiration era in a modern way…and of course, they added a pop of color.  And, in true Hollywood starlett fashion, I went for a bright matte lip.  It’s not the traditional red, but I think it gives the same effect.

Old Navy Leopard Blouse | Thrifted Cropped Pants | Sole Society “Justine” Pumps | The Sak Crossbody Bag via TJ Maxx

This outfit is just another reminder that your inspiration does not have to be literal.  Try to narrow done what inspires you about a particular look — for me, it was the print and the silhouette.  It’s all about using what you have to recreate the same look and feel of your inspiration.

Submit your looks for Style Me Friday here, or post them on my Facebook wall!

Have a great weekend!! XOXO.

25 Responses to “Style Me Friday: Inspired by Diahann Carroll (Ladies in pants!)”

1. Shade' says:

Great outfit I love how you added a pop of color with the shoes.
    My recent post OOTD | Stripes and Coral

2. Tia says:

Beautifully executed!
    My recent post Rain Drops Keep Fallin' On My Head

3. You look FABULOUS. LOVING THE OUTFIT AND THE LIPS.
    My recent post Fashion Inspiration-Tumblr Fashion

4. Ashlei says:

Oooo chica you look fabulous! I love this outfit and the addition of the pink kitten heels is perfect! Great interpretation :)

xx
    Ashlei

kinksarethenewpink.blogspot.com
    Ashlei recently posted..Style Me: Valentine’s Day
    Ashlei recently posted..Style Me: Valentine’s Day

Very nice what a great submission!

6. Chi Chi says:

Love what you did with it, and your hair is perfect!

7. Melisa says:

Love, Love,Love!

8. Those pumps are the cutest thing ever.

-Shakiyla
    My recent post Weekend Finds

9. Abi says:

this is one of my favorites. I love the outfit, hair ,lips, and shoes.

10. Rocquelle says:

I adore your switcheroo! This is such a chic look girlie, and your hair is gloriously beautiful!!!
    Rocquelle recently posted..SMILE
    Rocquelle recently posted..SMILE

11. Great look Ife! I love the leopard and pink!
    My recent post Now That's a Lotta Snow!

12. Channing says:

All I kept thinking when I was reading this post was, 'OMG, her hair!" It's goooorgeous!
    My recent post I'm In Leopard Love With Kelsi Dagger 'Huette' Booties

13. Nikell says:

I love it!! Another super fabulous look! Those shoes are perfect (^_^)
    My recent post Mod.s.t Fashions Look of The Week:Easing Spring Fever

14. jeimy says:

this post is amazing love it!!
    My recent post Earth tones…

15. NiCole says:

oooh… i have that shirt and i love it!

16. 7eventh Letter says:

EXCELLENT Job! Every piece works and you personalized her style wonderfully. You are working those shoes, I can't pull off low and kitten heels. But you make them look fab!

7eventh Letter

My recent post And I'm Proud!

17. Nadjah says:

Love Love Loves it all! Hair is gawgeous!!

18. Tiffany says:

I am digging the look. I think the cropped pants look cute on you. It may be hard for me to pull off that look because I am so tall.
    Tiffany recently posted..Random Musings
    Tiffany recently posted..Random Musings

19. Bre says:

Hair will over outfit pic in my book anyway! You look fierce in this outfit and I love your hair like that!!!
    My recent post jason wu for target

20. Shen Dove says:

I really like your inspiration and your variation of the look! Your shoes really add a nice pop of color to your outfit.
    My recent post Casual in plaid

21. @IMPR4Less says:

Where have I been?? I love this look, I just saw some leopard pants while I was thrifting last week (I wonder if they are still there). I love the pop of color!

22. Nice outfit in these photos of yours! Flaunt that style girl! I'm a fashion lover as well and I always combine colors with style in my outfits. This one looks fabulous on you. Keep it up! Hopefully you can post more photos of different outfits here!

23. Hey, you look so pretty in leopard print cropped pants and your overall outfit is really suited to you. Anyway, I must say that I just LOVE these little pants! I also have another similar pair from leopard print cropped pants. It Extremely comfortable.

24. You look adorableand fashionable in your outfit Eboni.