Mixing Prints the Easy Way: Dots & Sripes

Print mixing continues to reemerge season after season as a top trend, but it is still one of the most challenging trends for many people to pull off.  Understandably so, mixing prints is a bit intimidating…but not to fear! Mixing prints is super easy with these three tips.

1. Stick with classic, simple prints (eg. like my dots and stripes.  Florals are also a nice option, too).
  2. Use color palette of no more than two or three colors, and make sure each of your prints shares at least one of these colors.  When all else fails, black and white prints will all ways work!
  3. Use prints that are slightly different in scale (eg. My dots are medium large, but my stripes are pencil thin!)

Gifted Blouse & Cardigan (similar blouse here) | Jeans via Fab’rik @ Atlantic Station | Shoes via Shoe Land | Thrifted Kenneth Cole Trench Coat via Goodwill | ASOS Oversized Bowler (Sold Out, other colors avail. here & here) | Necklaces via Jewelmint, eBay, and AmericasMart | Watch via AmericasMart | Bracelet via HauteLook

*****

If you read my post about the Too Faced brow kit I bought a few weeks ago, you know I’ve made it my goal to put a little bit more effort into my non-existent beauty regimen.  A major issue for me with makeup has always been that I don’t know how to create the “everyday face.”  Unless I am going out at night, I really don’t like a full face of makeup.  I just want to look natural and polished. So, before I ran out and bought a bunch of new products, I cleaned out my makeup and took inventory of what I already had last weekend.  Saturday, I decided to give the “natural face” a go with what I already had, and this was the result. I am not 100% happy with the blush.  It’s a little pink for the “natural” look I’m going for, so I toned it down with the MAC Skinfinish powder.  If anyone has blush recommendations, I’m all ears! Other than that, I was pretty happy with the look…definitely more polished.  How do you think I did? Any tips?

Face: Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Foundation in Bisque 6 (mixed with a bit of moisturizer), MAC Skinfinish Natural in Medium Dark | Brows: Too Faced Brow Envy Kit | Lashes: Maybelline Great Lash in Very Black | Cheeks: MAC Sheertone Shimmer Blush in Springsheen | Lips: L’oreal Colour Riche Balm in 818 Nourishing Nude

Thanks for stopping by!! Have a GREAT week!! xoxo.

51 Responses to “Mixing Prints the Easy Way: Dots & Sripes”

I like these two classic prints mixed together, it really works.
    My recent post Peachy Pink

2. Well done Eb! Loving this…..

Roni
    My recent post Orange and Polka Dots

3. I think your blush looks totally natural. Your make-up looks totally fabulous and not one bit overdone. Have you considered buying the Urban Decay Naked palette? I know it is a bit pricey, but I find myself using it every day for a neutral look.

I’m all for pattern mixing but don’t have a ton of patters in my closet. I love your blazer and think it looks great with that blouse.
    fshnonmymind recently posted..Let’s Talk About All Those Patterns
    fshnonmymind recently posted..Let’s Talk About All Those Patterns

4. Abi says:

I love love this outfit,everything works so well together.
    i notice you're always tippy-toeing when you wear flats, let your flats be FLAT! lol.
    I also think you achieved the perfect everyday face. I don't think the blush it too pink at all. You look natural and gorg!!

• aaaaahahahah! OMG, Abi, you are so right. I just don't know how to wear flats. I just feel so…so… flat. it's weird! hahahaha. Thank you. Your comment just made my day LOL.

5. Alaina says:

I. Love. This. Look! It is so classic and chic! And as for the makeup, Bare Minerals has a great line and it covers while looking completely natural. I say besides foundation all you need is mascara and lip gloss! You go girl!

6. ChellBellz says:

Your hair looks gorgeous by the way! Love those Jeans and bag as well.

7. I came across your blog from a fellow blogger who follows you and have to say what a Wonderful blog and posting- love the pairings. Great job!!!

8. Michelle says:

Your make-up looks Fabulous! Really love it. I scored a blouse similar to yours from my mom’s closet that she used to rock in the 80’s! Never thought about pairing it with jeans…definitely going to try that!

9. megan says:

Oh hey gorgeous, i am loving this on you.
    My recent post Color blocking

10. Taliah says:

Very cute! Love how it's business casual with a dressy twist! Your makeup looks puurtyy!!
    My recent post School Girl Rock

11. Jen smith says:

LOVEEE your execution of the print mixing!! AND your make up looks great too! I am the same way when it comes to make up, I don't really do anything more than lip gloss on a daily basis.

Jen http://blankwhiteframes.blogspot.com

12. Kim says:

super cute look!
    My recent post Weekend Style

13. Nancie says:

Love the look! Yes its easy to mix prints!
    FASHION NOTEBOOK
    Nancie recently posted..Colour Of The Week: Cobalt
    Nancie recently posted..Colour Of The Week: Cobalt

14. Your pattern mixing tips are perfect Ife! I really love the dots and stripes here as well! Great look!

My recent post Fashion Firsts

15. Rocquelle says:

Love the mixed stripes and dots and the jeans too!! This is such a cute errand running look!
    Rocquelle recently posted..Two As One
    Rocquelle recently posted..Two As One

16. So easy, breezy, and beautiful!!
    My recent post Installed: Minaj à 21

17. Your makeup looks great! Love how you mixed the patterns!
    My recent post Monday Mingle: Mimi's Birthday!

18. Mary,MI says:

You pull it out nicely. Two kind of prints are sometimes way too opposite but this one is awesome. you look gorgeous too!

Gray Dress

My recent post Gray Dress!

19. Channing says:

You look so pretty! The first thing I noticed was your eyebrows! Then your arm party, LOL.
    My recent post Orange, You Glad It's Almost Spring?

20. Pretty Tall Style says:

I love this look! never thought to mix polka dots and stripes and you did it very well! Pretty Natural looking make-up as well!

21. Very cute! This is a look I love. I just wore something similar recently:-)
    foodfashionandflow recently posted..Gray and White
    foodfashionandflow recently posted..Gray and White

22. Jessica says:

Your dots and stripes are perfect. love it!

email me! I'm trying to get some local bloggers together in Atlanta!

My recent post Blazer Obsession

23. @Shalilac says:

I luv'd that your paired classic pieces with those destroyed jeans… pure genius!

24. Leslie says:

So cute for denim Friday at my school!!!

25. lyddiegal says:

Love the print mixing, and killer accessories!

26. jeimy says:

omg love this look you did great that last picture is beautiful and the second to last with the trench just perfect!!!
    My recent post All around inspired…

27. Stopping by from Monday Mingle. I love your stripes and dots!
    My recent post Travel Day

28. Miles of Fashion says:

Love the print idea you have going on and those jeans are super cute.
    My recent post V-Day

29. lynn says:

Love the print mixing, great tips…. Your hair and makeup look very pretty.
    besos,lynn
    My recent post I SMELL GOOD, REAL GOOD

30. Nikell says:

I love this look! It's so cute! Great tips too. I've only tried mixing prints once.I'll have to try it again.

31. Mello says:

You nailed the natural look and print mixing. I love how your cardigan sleeves are 3/4 length, so you get to see more of the polka dots.

32. You look adorable! Love this combination! I need to learn how to do this! Lol
    Berty Morales recently posted..Valentino…S/S 2012 Accessories
    Berty Morales recently posted..Valentino…S/S 2012 Accessories

33. Lynn says:

Love the MIX!
    My recent post SISTAR Spotlight

34. Glamamom says:

Love the mix of prints! Great accessories too!

35. Nadjah says:

You look gawgeous!! love love the whole shabang!! : ) flawless!!

36. i love this look…especially the texture of the prints
    My recent post {beauty} giving you face

37. Deanne35 says:

Hi! Do you know that you carry any dress with chic? I love your get up in this photo! I confess I do get some of your style, especially with street wear. Awesome!
    Deanne35 recently posted..What a Reliable Low Cost Web Hosting Should Provide
    Deanne35 recently posted..What a Reliable Low Cost Web Hosting Should Provide

38. tyty says:

YES YES YES and YES! Eboni you rocked my world! This is fresh and the RIGHT way to mix prints! I am so digging this look! How cute are you? I love the makeup you looking runway fresh! I will need you to do your make up like this everyday! LOL and your hair! HELL and your brows…

xoxo Ty
    My recent post Colourful. Casual. Cool

39. Rita says:

I lvoe everything about this look! I also think you did a pretty great job at the "natural look," you look awesome! xo, Rita

40. […] that you’ve mastered print mixing with basic colors and classic prints, are you ready to take things to the next level?  Why not add a little color…and a little […]

41. Momma Sharon says:

I LOVE the whole package, the outfit (which you KNOW I'm copying!!), the hair, makeup is flawless, and the trench just pulls it all together. HOME RUN, baby girl!!

42. Prissy says:

Love this! Its so chic. I also love the gold accessories paired with the black & white. Your makeup is so pretty too. I need those flats! This reminds me that I need to inveset in more cute flats

Prissy
    My recent post My Love for Vintage Necklaces

43. Absolutely adore this look!

44. kelsey87 says:

Hi Eboni! you look so gorgeous and you've got unique style. Your makeup looks great too. Thanks for the post!
    My recent post Some Common Diseases That Can Affect Your Young Arowana

45. […] here) | New York & Company shoes (unavailable online, see in-store, similar and super cute) | ASOS Bag | Random Brooch | “Eboni” Necklace c/o My Name Necklace + gifted Jewelint necklace | […]

46. Shasie says:

Lovely! I love this print combo, and even cooler because they are the same color scheme
    Shasie of Live Life in Style
    My recent post WHAT I LEARNED: Texas Style Council

47. Thanks for the print mixing tips. I really like how you styled this and I like your style in general! As for blush I like Maybelline's Expert Wear in 105 Sweet Cinnamon. It's a great neutral and I think it'd look really nice on you.

My recent post My 2012 St. Paddy's Day Outfit

48. […] the ever-fabulous Bee serving up some major inspiration with the “real” jacket.  More stripes and polka dots, anyone?  (I love it when the stars align in the blogmos! […]