Inside the InStyle Color Issue: Neutral Know-How

I always look forward to receiving InStyle’s annual color issue.  It’s no secret that I am a fan of bold color…and color blocking is among my favorite reining trends over the last couple years (coming 2nd only to leopard print, duh!).  I usually flip through magazine’s a few times before marking it up and ripping out pages for inspiration, but the April 2012 issue of InStyle served up a bit if insta-inspiration with five awesome tear-out friendly, mini “Neutral Know-How” guides — quick and easy guides for pairing neutrals with unexpected colors “for a fresh twist.”   The guides are perforated, and about half a page wide, so they are super easy to rip out and pin to your inspiration board, or tack to your closet wall!

Usually when the seasons change I am compelled to buy a whole new wardrobe, but the truth is I probably have some representation of just about every “new” trend in my closet already.  Let’s be honest, I don’t need new clothes…I just need a little bit of remixing inspiration, and color is a GREAT place to start.  The great thing about using color pairings as inspiration is they aren’t necessarily dependent upon having a specific piece in my wardrobe…I just have to have the right piece in the right color!  With all this in mind, I thought why not do a series inspired by InStyle’s “Neutral Know-How.”  5 Neutrals, 4 Color Pairings, 20 fabulous looks.  No Shopping.  Honestly, as I look over the color-pairings they’ve suggested, I am pretty sure I might be missing pieces in at least one or two of the color pairings they’ve suggested, so I guess we’ll just have to improvise…that’s the fun of fashion, right?

First up… Navy + Bubblegum (HOT Pink).

InStyle Says:  “A trademark of sailor stripes and preppy blazers, this classic blue looks brand-new when it’s allowed to go a little crazy.”

I couldn’t agree more, InStyle! And, thank you for inspiring me to whip out this hot pink blouse, which I bought at Goodwill a few years ago and only wore once!  This challenge is turning out to be beneficial already!

Thrifted Blouse | H&M Pants (old, similar) | Sole Society “Gisele” (sold out) | Target Belt ($3, in-store clearance) | Thrifted Tote | Earrings & Necklace via AmericasMart

*Please pardon the dust/smudge/spot on my lens.  Of course, I didn’t notice it when I previewed the pics on my camera’s screen.  I hate when that happens!

Tomorrow, we’ll be doing Style Me Friday, and we’ll be back at it with the InStyle “Neutral Know-How” challenge next week!

**Check out all the Neutral Know-How Looks Here!**

Thanks for stopping by!! XOXO.

The Fashionista Next Door *”Neutral Know-How” image borrowed from InStyle Magazine.

26 Responses to “Inside the InStyle Color Issue: Neutral Know-How”

1. Tia says:

Thanks for sharing! And can I just say you have every shoe color known to man!
    My recent post Brit Girl Does: LKV Spring Collection Launch

2. Tasha says:

You look super cute! Totally send the pic into Instyle on how you rock it! They would totally feature you! S/N your closet could be the juniors dept at Macy’s shop your closet… Me, you, Prissy & Mattie are going to do a no buy month lol
    Tasha recently posted..Pedestal Blouse
    Tasha recently posted..Pedestal Blouse

3. Shanda says:

Beautiful colors, Awesome combos, and a Fabulous look!!! Go Eboni!

Cute look, I like the metallic accessories with it.
    My recent post Boat Shoes

5. This color pairing is classic and you look fabulous in it. I especially love the turquoise shoes you added, that just took the whole thing up a notch.
    I can’t wait to see the next outfit!
    fshnonmymind recently posted..OOTD- Into Something Else
    fshnonmymind recently posted..OOTD- Into Something Else

6. Style & Poise says:

I really like this look Eb!

Roni
    My recent post Corporate Chic: Fishtail Pencil Skirt

7. Rocquelle says:

Great color combination!! Love those shoes, and don’t wait so long to wear that blouse again!
    Rocquelle recently posted..Your Body Is Fabulous- Kendra
    Rocquelle recently posted..Your Body Is Fabulous- Kendra

8. Shade' says:

Love the color combo! You look great.
    My recent post Blogger Style | Ashleigh

9. 7eventh Letter says:

Girl, I am going to buy this issue now. This will be so helpful for shopping my closet!!!! Thanks for sharing and you pulled this off beautifully!!! I think I have these color elements in my closet as well. FUN!!!!

7eventh Letter
    My recent post Giveaway: The Style Manor

10. AAG says:

Loving the shoes with the shirt!!

11. Hope Grant says:

Navy is my favorite neutral. I always pair it with red but now I have some other colors to make it really pop! I have to go get this issue of Instyle today. Can't wait for tomorrow's StyleMeFriday!!
    My recent post Inspirational Ideas: Denim & Floral

12. Audrey says:

this outfit is totally up my alley. love it!

13. These colors work! Loves it!
    My recent post #NoteToSelf: Know Your Worth

14. Cute look Eboni! I love the pony too!
    My recent post Street Gazing… Leticia, A boot up on things.

15. Corie says:

So cute Eboni! You are always smiling in your photos…so cute! I think your outfit is cute too. I love the colors of course.
    My recent post As it Passes on…

16. Lynn says:

Girrrrl, STOP playing that smudge gave the pic’s an added affect! Seriously though, there nothing wrong with these pic’s… the colors work well together! U did that Eboni!
    My recent post A Message & The Mall

17. I love this outfit and the colors.
    milesoffashion recently posted..Walking In New Shoes
    milesoffashion recently posted..Walking In New Shoes

18. fredetta says:

great outfit!

19. Jay says:

OMG I am wearing a similar outfit to work on Monday lol, I'm glad you rocked it!

My recent post Grey, Coral,Mint

20. Sab says:

You really have a knack on choosing the best attire for you. Love everything you wear, stunningly fashionable!

21. Marquita C. says:

Love the look…navy is my favorite! You look great!

22. [...] Monday! So, we are continuing the “Neutral Know-How” challenge, and it’s all about green and navy.  I adore this color combo, and as much [...]

23. [...] here’s the next outfit in the Neutral Know-How series.  We’re switching it up from navy today, and going with a little olive.  I have to [...]

24. [...] marks outfit #10  in the Neutral-Know How Challenge.  We are half way there! In case you  missed the first post, for this challenge, I am using In Style Magazine’s Neutral Know-How Tear Outs (from the [...]