Lafayette 148 Fall 2012 Preview at Saks Atlanta (+ what I wore!)

Happy Monday!! I hope you all had a great weekend.  Mine was wonderfully busy.  I attended two fashion shows on Saturday, and MY CAR FINALLY GOT FIXED on Sunday. Yaaaaay!  I’m sure you all can imagine how relieved I am about that. Stella’s got her groove back. Hehe!

So anyway, up first on Saturday was a Lafayette 148 Fall Preview at their brand new shop at Saks Fifth Avenue, Atlanta – one of only two Lafayette 148 shops of the kind in the country!  (Lucky for us Atlantans!)  Of course Saks was the perfect host – mimosas, chocolate filled strawberries, mini cheesecakes, key lime pies, and cupcakes topped with a swirl of most divine chocolate ganache…and a DJ of course!

…and this is what I wore!  Many thanks to Tami for snapping these pics for me!! (and thanks to Rocquelle for the skirt…I LOVE IT!)

I arrived a bit early so I sit down with Lafayette 148’s fabulous designer of 14 years (and CFDA member), Edward Wilkerson to chat about what he’s excited about for Fall! (but first, can we talk about his asymmetrical vest! LOVE!)

On debuting fall in the middle of August’s brutal heat, Edward says…

“I know it’s still 80 – 90 degrees outside, but with fashion you really have to be prepared!  Don’t wait until you need something to buy it because you won’t be able to find it.  For example, yesterday I saw a gorgeous dress upstairs [here at Saks] for my sister…and it was on sale…and I didn’t buy it. I went back for it today, and it was gone…that fast!  You should be preparing for fall now because those really special pieces you love may not be available later.”

On Lafayette 148’s summer-to-fall transition pieces, Edward says…

“Oh, I can show you better than I can tell you!” and with that we got up, and he took me on a tour of his favorite pieces in the new Lafayette 148 shop!  He starts with a sheer pussy bow blouse that can be worn now on its own, and later under a jacket or sweater.

Next, he shows me a black sleeveless peplum top… “if you’re only going to buy one piece to transition you into fall, this is the one I’d buy,” he says.  He showed me five different ways to style it on the spot, and here is a peek of it on the runway!

He also showed me several of their breezy tunics, which are perfect in the heat because of their loose fit and breezy fabric, but will also transition well into fall because they are so easy to layer!  I LOOOVED the blue sequined version, personally!  And, the black tunic was a big favorite among the associates at Saks…a few of them were wearing it.

On the fall collection’s gorgeous accidental draped sheath dress, Edward says…

“You know, this dress was actually an accident.  The sample came in and it was just too straight, so I draped this fabric across like this, and there it was. Perfect.”

I couldn’t agree more! I told Edward that the draping just makes the dress that much more flattering!  And what you might not see is a leather panel on the left side of the bodice. HOT! HOT! HOT!  If I worked in a corporate office, I’d be all over it.  And, I love how Edward styled the dress in the show with Lafayette 148 leather fingerless gloves. I need a pair in my life, pronto!

Shortly after our chat, guests began to arrive for the show, so I snapped a few pics, grabbed a mimosa, and took my seat!  Here are some of my favorite looks from the fall preview show, and you can scroll through all the looks by clicking the thumbnails below.

…and then, there was the finale gown! How gorgeous is this? Just all around classic and stunning!

[nggallery id=5]

Many thanks to the wonderful PR team at Saks Atlanta for inviting me out! It was a blast!

12 Responses to “Lafayette 148 Fall 2012 Preview at Saks Atlanta (+ what I wore!)”

1. Tasha says:

I am loving several of the pieces. I see those gloves you talked about. I like. When did you change your signature? LOL
    My recent post Hache Ruffle Blouse

2. Dominique says:

Gimmie those leather gloves and that leopard dress. LOVE it!
    My recent post Baby Bjorn Sweepstakes, Thanks Rookie Moms

3. I am so sick I missed this! FIERCE!
    My recent post Ladies Who Lunch: Monday Mingle

4. Tami says:

It was fab seeing you there! I loved so many pieces in the collection! Loved your look too! xoxo
    My recent post LAFAYETTE 148 Fall 2012 Preview at Saks

5. Daisy says:

LOVing the print & the color of your skirt!
    Let's follow each other!

XOXO
    -Daisy Nguyen from PS BANANAS fashion blog:
    BLOGLOVIN
    FACEBOOK
    My recent post Double Date Night, My BFF and How To Get the Party Started When You’re No Longer 22

6. Mattie says:

LOL. Tasha! I was just about to say – I like the new signature. Your shoes were so cute! Lafayette 148 had some great pieces and the models were stunning. (That one model has me thinking about bangs for fall!)
    My recent post Mattie Muse: Mint Condition

7. Inez| Style Chic 360 says:

Loved your interview!

You look great btw!
    My recent post New In: Floral Shoes

8. meganzietz says:

Ah-mazing and you look stunning, love the skirt
    Xo Megan
    My recent post Kirna Zabête at Target Full Lookbook

9. That leopard dress and black sequins gown is giving me heart palpitations…#DEAD!!!

10. Taliah says:

Wow…i didnt know Lafayette 148's designer was African American. I love this line because it is appealing to younger and older woemn. Very classy and chic! i was trying to hunt down a safari vest by them a few months ago and no luck! ;( Anywa, GREAT photos!
    My recent post Shades of Green

11. Wow! I love so many of the pieces featured and I am a huge fan of peplums. Love the classic lines of these pieces, but they still look modern.
    My recent post Orange Peacock

12. Tiffany says:

How can I get those gloves?