While I was in San Diego for my conference, I stayed with my college roommate/bestie Dee Dee. We took a random late night trip to Walmart, and of course I had to stop by the makeup section. Seriously, I can’t go to Walmart or Target without stopping by the beauty aisle…usually, I’m looking for whatever randomness they have on clearance. I feel like nail polish is ALWAYS on clearance. Anyway, I’d practically given up on finding Milani’s “Black Cherry” lipstick in Atlanta. I swear it’s sold out at every Walmart, Target, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, etc in the whole city! Of course, I could have bought it online, but for whatever reason I can never bring myself to buy just ONE beauty item online. I need to have a whole eCart full of stuff if I’m gonna pay for shipping. Anyway, I didn’t have much hope of finding it in San Diego, but I had to look anyway, and wouldn’t you know it, there were two tubes left! Yaaay! One of them had clearly been opened and tried on (ugh!), but the other was untouched. I snatched it up quick! I shared a picture on Instagram, but I didn’t have an opportunity to wear it right away because quite frankly, the last thing on my mind during my conference was lipstick. Who has time to be cute when you’re walking up at 5am and going to sleep at midnight? Not me! So, I tucked it away in my suitcase until I got home. And, finally it made it’s debut last week for Style Me Friday!
Now, while the Black Cherry shade looks AMAZE on it’s own, I actually layered a little bit of Benefit “Espionage” lipstick in the center of my bottom lip, just to add some depth. The Espionage shade is just a smidgen lighter and more red than the Black Cherry, which has deep plum undertones.
By layering the two colors, I was attempting to add more depth without using a liner. The look was exactly what I wanted!
The rest of my face…
The rest of my face was super duper simple! As much as I’d love to spend time sculpting and contouring my face every day, it’s just not gonna happen. I generally keep it very simple with a few easy steps (seriously…despite how long and wordy this looks…its really just a few steps. I’m just long-winded!)
- Prime: I started with my Hourglass Cosmetics No. 28 Primer Serum. I loooove this stuff! I have stereotypical combination skin… dry cheeks, oil nose and forehead. The dry cheeks are a major issue for me in the winter. Sometimes when I apply foundation, it draws attention to the dry patches and gets a little flaky. Not a good look! Tinted moisturizers and BB creams are a good alternative to foundation, but don’t always offer enough converge for blemishes….sometimes a girl just needs foundation! This primer is the perfect for that! It acts as a great moisturizing base for my cheeks, but it doesn’t make my forehead and nose oily. It’s a win-win! (Although, I have to warn you guys it is pretty expensive!)
- Conceal: I am slowly but surely learning how to use concealer. My sister-in-law actually gave me a shade of concealer she picked up on E.L.F that was just perfect for my complexion – E.L.F. Tone Correcting Concealer in Apricot Beige. I had a a couple dark spots on my right cheek from two hellacious pimples earlier this month. I dabbed on the concealer with my fingers until it was about 90% blended.
- Foundation: I am still using my Lancome Teint Idole foundation in Bisque (W). I usually start by dotting a little foundation on the top of my cheeks and the center of my forehead, then I blend out by dabbing with my finger tips. I suppose I could use a sponge, but I’ve always liked to use my fingers….although, I do use a foundation brush to blend the foundation around my hairline and jawline.
Brows: I am desperately in need of a trip to the brow lady, but I just haven’t had any time. So, I’ve been cleaning them up minimally, and depending heavily on my NYX Brow Pencil in dark brown to fill them and gently define the shape.
- Shadow: I owe you guys a full haul video for all the E.L.F. products I bought during the holidays. One of the products I bought was their Studio Baked Eyeshadow Palette. Actually, it comes in two color sets and I bought and love both of them. I use them non-stop. The “California” palette has soft, neutral colors that can be used more for every day looks and the “NYC” palette has dark, dramatic colors for evening looks or any occasion where you feel like going all out with your eye makeup. For this look, I used a soft shimmery golden pink color from the California palette, which I just swiped on my lids with my fingers.
- Liner: My new favorite eyeliner is Make Up For Ever Crayon Khol Pencil in 6K. It’s a black pencil with very subtle gold flakes. It’s gorgeous! and I love the way this pencil applies..it’s so soft and non-abrasive!
- Mascara: I am currently obsessed with Benefit “They’re Real” mascara. It is pricey, but in my opinion it’s worth every penny! I applied two coats to my top lashes and one coat to my bottom lashes.
Cheeks: Currently, I am obsessed with the CoverGirl TruCheeks Blush trio. I just use my blush brush to blend all three colors together and lightly blend from the apples of my cheeks to just above my ear. This has been my go-to daily blush lately. For this particular look, I wanted something a little deeper, so I also layered a little bit of E.L.F. blush in Blushing Rose on just the apples of my cheeks.
p.s. What do you guys think of these beauty posts? I still feel like I don’t know what I’m doing. I mean, I totally know how to apply my own makeup, but explaining it to someone else is pretty darn hard! Lol. Does any of what I said make sense?
Thanks for stopping by! XOXO.