Happy Monday!! This week’s Style Me Friday inspiration is a good and challenging one – Monochromatic. And, I say this week is going to be a challenge because I am going to ask you NOT to do all black or all white. The challenge is to put together a monochromatic look using COLOR! And, the reason pulling this look off is so challenge is because the point is not necessarily to be spot-on match-matchy with a suit or pre-made set (though you could totally go that route!)
Let’s look at the definition of Monochromatic…
- Of or having one color.
- Of, pertaining to, or having tones of one colorin addition to the ground hue.
So, while you could obviously do a suit or set of some kind that was made to match, I love the look of tonal monochromatic looks (like our inspiration below!). The keyword here is tonal. The challenge is finding pieces in your closet that are tonal shades of the same color…in other words, shades of the same color that are not a perfect match, but complement each other anyway because they are in the same color family.
And, just so you guys know…as I’m typing this, I’m not picturing any tonal monochromatic looks from my own closet in my mind, but I’m sure I have something! This one is going to be tough for me, too. Generally, if something isn’t a spot on match, my first thought is to pair it with a neutral or color block it with a different complementary color. Matching different shades of the same color is going to be fun!
Style Me Friday & How to Link Up
- Every Monday (today), I will select and post the Style Me Friday inspiration look that I’ll be recreating later in the week. (below)
- You will also recreate the look yourself, and post it on your blog, facebook, instagram, or wherever!*
- On Friday, I will post my normal Style Me Friday recreation AND host a link up so you can share your recreated version of the look, too!
- *New & Important* Spread the word about the link up by adding the Style Me Friday badge to within your post and/or on your sidebar (either or is fine!)! You can grab the badge below! (If you are linking up from Instagram, Twitter or Facebook, you won’t be able to use the badge, so I’d just ask that you use hashtag #StyleMeFriday in your post or include a link back!)
Or Grab the code below:
<a href=”http://fashionista-next-door.com/category/style-me-friday” target=”_blank”><img src=”http://fashionista-next-door.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/style-me-friday-badge.jpg”></a>
…and just for fun, here are some other cool monochromatic looks from Pinterest! I know head-to-toe color might be difficult if you don’t have a ton of colored bottoms, so I also included some monochromatic top combinations to get your juices flowing!
*Reminder! Your version of the inspiration look does not need to be literal. It just needs to capture the spirit of the look. So have fun with it! I can’t wait to see what you all come up with! :)
Thanks for stopping by! XOXO.